Friday, April 18, 2014

#71 [Sabana Yegua - 7] Apr. 14th, 2014


Thanks for the fun pics!  You all look like you had a great time! :) You all look older (except for you, dad:) haha.) Also, thanks for the play-by-play including traffic and line waiting :) always feels like I am in on the action when you give them :) haha.

So this week was great. It went by pretty slow, but the first week of every transfer seems to pass slow. All of Monday, I was wondering who my companion would be. Since I had about 16 months in the DR, and I had only had American comps whose first and native language has been English, I was curious to see if God would allow me to have a Latina comp, since most Americans here have at least 2 their mission. I was nervous to maybe get my first.

I might have Mom's gift of telling the future, since I guessed who my comp was going to be before it was announced. But her name is Hermana C__. She's great. AND GUESS WHAT? Turns out that Hermana Erickson will NOT only have American comps her entire mission!!! Yahoo! BUT, her second language is English, so we mainly talk in English. We can't talk in her first language, since it's Tagalog. YEP, that's right. She's from the Philippines. Therefore, she doesn't know Spanish. Well, she does now, but it is her 3rd language. But yeah, that is the most news this week, haha.

Hope that all makes sense. Her name is pronounced (ca-kim-ball). She has 8 months here and she is the oldest comp that I have had. She is so sweet! She always touches me though, which I am not really a fan of. She grabs my arm when we walk, and I just stiffen. But she’s cute and I like her. Her English is perfect, and she teaches me Tagalog sometimes. We have a switch-off, since I will teach her piano, she'll teach me Tagalog. :) haha. Also, when she speaks Spanish, she has a cute little Asian accent, it's so cute! Maybe I'll pick that up, haha.

In other exciting news, H__ is doing great! I have gained a stronger testimony of the power of the scriptures this week. We decided to go and help the family that he lives with (the ward mission leader and his wife/kids) read the BOM and when we read 1 Nefi 3, we had them memorize the first part of verse 7. Then we did role-plays with H__ about going to the colmado to buy cigarettes, and him saying, "no, give me 6 mints instead, for I Nefi said unto my father, I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded" and IT WORKED! :) :) :) He officially hasn't smoked for 4 days, and every time we go to him, he has a bigger grin on his face, and he recites the scripture! It's adorable. The scriptures have helped him overcome his temptation. So, si Dios quiere, he will be getting dunked this Saturday at 5:30. I am a little nervous, cuz he is going to the capital this week, and will come back on Thursday. I hope he doesn't smoke!

  
Oh! HAPPY EASTER this week! :) Hope it's a great one. It's Semana Santa this week, which is the time when people here go to the beach, drink all day and night, and just party. They do everything BUT remember the resurrection of Christ. It's a pretty difficult week, when it comes to missionary work. But God'll help us! :) YAY! :) Also, this is just a side-note about this country. Apparently they start their kids drinking REALLY young, so they are "good drinkers." I see kids drinking beer all the time. But when they grow up, they can drink and drive, cuz they don't get drunk when they are older... sad, right?

Also, happy Birthday to Jakey, and of course, happy half-birthday, to my pa :)

Um, something else that was great that happened this week! WE GOT INVERSOL! :) which is like a generator, so we have 24/7 light!!! :) It is such a miracle! It's a good thing, cuz my candle was getting really dim, and without a fan, I just sweat a lot. So it was great. Yeah... that's cool.

I think that is about all that happened this week. I am excited to work with my new comp. We get along just fine. And I am stoked for H__'s baptism. :) But after that.... we'll have a hard time with our investigators. We're going to have to look under the rocks and in the cracks to find those people who are ready!

But yeah, I hope you have a great Semana Santa! Be safe! :) Love you all and I am so thankful for each of you! Thank you for your support and love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment