Monday, November 25, 2013

#51 [La Venta - 11] Nov. 25th, 2013


Oh man, you're right, that letter was pretty lame. But I can't blame you. Sometimes life isn't as interesting as we would hope! But I am glad you are all alive, and happy.

Man, my brain is racing. I feel like I have so much to tell you! This week was pretty crazy. It was a lot of running around. I am going to add a lot of pictures, so I hope you can see them all!
 
This is my week in preview:
 
Monday: Normal. Nothing really new.

Tuesday: also nothing new.

Wednesday: The Mission leader, Joseph and A__ (the man who was gonna get married) ran around town in the car trying to find all of the papers that were necessary for the two of them to get hitched. They spent all day, and it was insane!

Thursday: Good News!! They have a wedding date! for Friday! the next day! Turns out that Joseph had to bribe the judge to let them get married the next day, cuz you are supposed to tell them 5 days in advance, but he got it all figured out. Except we had NOTHING! So instead of doing normal missionary stuff, we went shopping with I__-the bride to be, for her dress! We only had like, 2000 pesos to spend on it, and she’s bigger, so it was a real chore. But we found one, and it needed altering, but there wasn't much time. So the lady got her size, and made a couple guesses, and then told us to pick it up later. She would not have time to try it on before the wedding... ah! We also ran around with her to get her hair done (which is a 3 hour process for the Dominicans.) and then we had an appt. with her at her house to fill out paperwork and stuff. She totally chewed us out because she didn't want her wedding day to be all rushed. (She had no idea how much time we had put into it, and how awesome it would actually be. It was all full of surprises.) And so they both got upset, and we were worried that they were going to back out and by this time, everything had been paid for. I am not going to tell you who paid for it, but it was expensive... Anyways, after her boche (what we call it here... there is no English translation.) we went and got her nails done. Man! that took forever. We had to leave early so we could be in on time for curfew. We planned and then I went straight to bed and fell asleep at 8:30. I was so tired! I may never have a wedding. It's too much work! I might just elope. :)

Friday: we had to wake up early and get ready for the wedding. We also had to go to her house and be there for support while she got her makeup done. We played with her kids, and prayed really hard for the dress to fit. AND IT DID! It looked so great on her! It was a miracle! really though. We all hopped into the car, and A__ was already on his way. We got there and took pictures, and then waited outside for the judge to be ready. We got inside finally and the second witness didn't have a valid ID because it had been damaged! Oh no! They didn't have another witness! Man... so I pulled out my passport and got to be a witness for their wedding. I got to sign the documents and it was great. I felt really official. Also, because I signed them, I was either the bridesmaid, or the godmother of their family, or both :) so that's exciting. Have any of you ever been a witness at a Dominican wedding before? I didn't think so. :) hahah. After, Joseph planned that we go to the temple to take pictures. He called the Pres. of the mission to come and take pictures with us, and also asked if we were allowed to go... since we were missionaries. :) he said yes! Before we could go though, Iris had to get her makeup professionally done. Luckily, one of the members in this branch is pro. and she made her look GORGEOUS! We all looked sick and sweaty next to her, but whatever. It's not my day :) haha Anyways, so we went and took pictures. We were also graced by the presence of President Rodriguez himself! How great. It was a fun day. We got home and had a couple of citas planned, so we went to those, and then we went home and relaxed.

Saturday: Well, today we spent most of the day getting ready for the baptism. Joseph planned a wedding party after the baptism, so me and H. Peck were in charge of decorating. We decided to make paper snowflakes. We are professionals now, seriously. We had the entire foyer decked out with snowflakes, :) but that took all day Saturday. Also, the font overflowed, and soaked everything in the bathrooms, so we had to mop those up. By the time it was the baptism time, we were sweaty and gross. It was sad, but whatever, it's not our day. :)

The baptism went well, and I__ bore her testimony about how the gospel saved her marriage. It was adorable. They are so much more in love. This gospel is totally for families. I am so glad that I was born into the church and that I don't have to go around looking for happiness. It was such a joy to be here to witness this wonderful shotgun wedding. No one thought it would happen, but it did! That's what happens when people are working together for the same cause, with a lot of faith and trust!

And that was pretty much the week. It has been the most crazy week ever. I am glad that we got to witness it before transfers. They are next week, and everyone is sad especially the members. They love us a lot, probably especially me ;) hahahah

ONE MONTH UNTIL CHRISTMAS! what?

There is this gross man that just gags himself everyday at 8. It's gross. Right during personal study. It is still going on. Super gross.

We got blessings from the branch president. We were asked to get those by the mission pres., and he finally got around to doing those. It was a neat experience. We were trying to figure out what transfers were according to the blessings. They all think I am leaving. We'll see!

Pres. Rodriguez's son just went into the MTC in Provo. Maybe you could drop something off for him, since it's super cheap. All I know is that he is going to Canada, speaking French, and he went in last Wednesday... huh. Anyways, I thought that would be nice, and maybe help my chances for staying in La Venta :) hahahaha

But yeah, that is my week. I am well. I love this gospel. I am excited for Thanksgiving, although we are going to probably eat nothing fancy. We have no money for that. We spent it all this last week... possibly on the wedding and stuff. Who knows?

But I love you all. This church is true. Sorry about the typos. I am just so happy. I love being a missionary. I hope you have a special Thanksgiving. Eat lots of turkey for me! Maybe send some in the package! yeah! Hna Peck’s mom sent a tree, so we set that up and our house is now covered with snowflakes and a tree. It’s nice, but still feels like summer... rats. Speaking of those, we have two. They poop everywhere and I am pretty sure they sleep in our dishes. But no one is dead yet. That's good news. :)

That's all! Have a fun FHE tonight! If it's not planned, PLAN IT! :) love you all!

ox ox ox

Also, Heather, good luck in your soccer tourney. I had a fantastic dream about playing soccer the other night. Oh how I miss it, and how my body misses it. Score one for me! :)

Love you!

With so much love,
Hermana Erickson #1
or Rachel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment