Monday, April 22, 2013

#20 [Azua - 16] April 22nd, 2013

Wow! Thank you so very much for your love and emails and prayers. I seriously love hearing about everything going on back at home. Everyone sounds so happy.

We sang in church yesterday. It was either me speak, or me suggest that all of the sisters sing. So we sang :) It went alright. I still don’t like singing in front of people.

I heard a little about the bombs (Boston Marathon.) I had no idea what happened. I really think it is so odd how cut off from the world I am on this little island. I don’t hear ANY news. It’s kinda terrible, but probably a good thing. Just weird to think that life goes on outside of the mission.

Oh, so the other day, we had interviews, and they didn’t take our weight, so I don’t know how much I have gained. Might be a good thing, but who knows? I plan on losing any weight that I gain with soccer when I get back, or something of the sort. Also, Hermana Rodriguez talked about our emails. She said not to mention anything that would bring the family down. So it got me thinking, I hope I don’t say things that bring you down. I try to make them lively and somewhat interesting, with typos, of course. :)

I found this cool quote the other day: "Vice cannot stand one moment against Virtue’s uplifted arm" and I really liked it. I don’t know why, it just sounds cool. So remember it! :) Also, congrats on the Jesus the Christ. I just got to Chapter 20 today. It’s interesting. I liked learning about the apostles, :) they are so cool.

Oh, so get this. The other day, we were with A.... He had told us that he had something to tell us, and that he was excited for his baptism. But this thing kinda stopped him from baptism. So we ask him, and he’s like, "I don’t wanna be friends with H G, I want to be more than friends. I am in love with her." and he didn’t think he was doing the whole baptism thing for the right reason.!!!! UGH!!! How frustrating. We thought he was progressing so much, ugh. But yeah, so he’s not gonna get baptized anytime soon. We have to talk to him to make sure he really has a testimony and whatnot, we’ll see. I will let you know if anything comes of it, but it made H G really upset.


We were at a lesson the other day, and a huge wasp lands on one of our investigator’s legs, and he picks it up and just squishes it in his fingers. Grossed me out big time, some people.

Oh, so for H G's birthday – It was on Saturday the 20th. We had it all planned the week before. We woke up early and decorated her desk a little, giving her a crown and making her breakfast in bed. Then, we made a cake during breakfast for the devotional that we were having that night (it was more of a party, but we thought we would label it devotional) and then we ordered food in from a restaurant, delicious, and then me and H H went and decked out the entire house, while they went to English class, just to find out that the class bought her a huge cake. And by then, we went to pick up a huge cake that we ordered a few days ago, and we went to the devotional, and no one showed up for the first 20 minutes, so we ate the cake that we took (we also got chased down by a homeless man when he saw we were carrying a cake – THAT was interesting.) But at the devo, she was in a bad mood because no one came, and then K... and all of his friends came, and she cheered up and said she didn’t want anymore cake (but we had a surprise party at our house waiting) and so we went home, and she saw the cake, and we gave her presents, and yeah. K... gave her a gift, and that small light up flower out shined all of our efforts. Yep. That made her happy, and nothing that we did really mattered to her, but oh well. :)Yep, that was her birthday. Thank goodness it’s over. Now only 363 days!!!!! let the countdown begin.

So for some reason, ALL of the people here love giving us fruit. Everyday, me and HH come home with bags full of mangoes and bananas and platanos. It is ridiculous. The other day, A... and C... (the 2 guys that came to church - who came again and loved it and both have baptismal dates for the 18th of May) gave us like 20 lbs. of fruit! They had to carry it home for us because they are super sexist and didn’t think we could. Which I probably could, but it was a nice gesture of them. But yeah, they LOVE giving us fruit. No one gives the other sisters fruit, but EVERYONE - even people who we just contact. I don’t know why, but we will always have a nice supply of fruit. 


Well, this week was about as good as the others, not bad. Life is going on. The mission is great. People are changing. I am very excited about the baptisms that we have coming up. I have heard that they might make our girls train this next transfer, but I don’t think so. There are apparently 17 more sisters coming in in the next 2 weeks, so they might have to, but hopefully not, they are NOT ready. I wish I could say they are, but they can’t speak as easily. They have grown loads though. I am very proud of them. I have also grown a lot in the last 5 weeks of training. It’s tough to train, but worth it. I have learned so much about myself. There's stuff I want to change. It’s bad when you get annoyed with yourself, haha.

Well, I can’t think of much more to say. I love you all so much and am grateful for this opportunity to serve. Thank you for your love and support. I know this church is true and that the work will go on.

I am not sure when we will be calling on Mother’s Day. I have been told that they celebrate it on the 10th here, so we might do it then? Also, I have heard that if we want to skype, we have to do it on Monday. I have NO idea what is going on with Mother’s Day. It is in 20 days though. I have a paper chain. I am fairly excited about it. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) a little.

With the package ideas, I can’t think of anything. My shoes are holding up fine. I have been searching for rain shoes, because yesterday it rained a LOT and holy cow, I am glad I had the white rubber ones. We actually went on the roof and danced for a bit because we didn’t have an appointment. The streets flooded and it was awesome. But shoes, I don't know if I need any. I realized that I don’t have a red shirt, and that made me sad. So if you find one that is just light and not fancy or anything, I would be happy to take it off your hands :)

Well, I gotta go. I love you!! :) The church is true!!

Hermana Erickson 1

No comments:

Post a Comment